Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Glass Store.

In this dream I was on my way to meet a friend. I stopped by this store that was filled with different kinds of glasswares, mostly antique and collectibles, like depression, cranberry and carnival glass. Having a vague interest in these kinds of glass in waking life, I decided to step into the store, even though it meant I would be late in meeting my friend. On this chair, that was just there to furnish the store there was a life-sized doll. There was a man waiting across from the doll for assistance from the store owner. The doll began to move, first slowly. It's legs were twitching. The man asked if I had seen the doll move. I said yes. Then, the face became slightly animated, and the doll began to foam at the mouth. It seemed sickly, as if it were dying, though ironically it seemed also that it was trying to come to life. The doll then spoke, noticing our confusion. It said that the energy that was giving it life was just the chi that is imposed on material items when trying to make something that replicates a living thing. It seemed annoyed with this phenomenon that it was attempting to explain to us. It's "life" phased out and it was motionless once more. I woke up.

According to dreammoods.com:

Doll
"To dream that a doll comes to life, signifies your desires to be someone else and escape from your present problems and responsibilities. Dolls may serve as a means to act out your wishes."

Glasswares
"To see a drinking glass in your dream, signifies healing, rejuvenation, and healing. Alternatively, it indicates a transcendence into a realm of higher consciousness. Is the glass half-full or half-empty? Do you see life from an optimistic or pessimistic point of view. Consider also the contents of the glass. To see a broken glass in your dream, denotes feelings of powerlessness, guilt and/or low self-esteem. Perhaps you feel unqualified or inadequate in dealing with a situation."

I believe that being in the glass store, which had a very ethereal feel to it, was a symbolic attempt at sacrificing the world of responsibilities by not meeting my friend, to take time for something important. I believe the glass store represents my current desire to connect to something spiritual, which is manifested in the doll (which I somehow, even in the dream, knew was myself; she resembled me) by the doll, a material object, coming to life. I do not think in this dream that the doll means that I want to be someone else, but I do believe the doll represents my external personality, possibly meaning that I *feel* currently, like someone else and disconnected from my true self. She may also represent my outward personality, or ego, which is momentarily tiresome for me, which explains why the doll became frustrated when she was talking about her "animation"; a symbol of my current feelings on "living." Because I have not had enough time for reflection or spiritual pursuits, she represents my frustration in my involvement in the material world.

1 comment:

  1. I told my therapist about this dream and his reaction was, "Did you ever think that it was like being here?" And I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "You are sitting on a big couch in front of a strange man that you don't really know."

    Interesting!

    ReplyDelete